- Types of steel pipe flangesTypes of Carbon Steel Pipe FlangesThe most used flange types are: Welding Neck, Slip On, Socket Weld, Lap Joint, Threaded and Blind flange. Below you will find a short description and definition of each type, completed with an detailed image.MOST COMMON FLANGE TYPESWelding Neck Flange
Welding Neck Flanges are easy to recognize at the long tapered hub, that goes gradually over to the wall thickness from a pipe or fitting.
The long tapered hub provides an important reinforcement for use in several applications involving high pressure, sub-zero and / or elevated temperatures. The smooth transition from flange thickness to pipe or fitting wall thickness effected by the taper is extremely beneficial, under conditions of repeated bending, caused by line expansion or other variable forces.
These flanges are bored to match the inside diameter of the mating pipe or fitting so there will be no restriction of product flow. This prevents turbulence at the joint and reduces erosion. They also provide excellent stress distribution through the tapered hub and are easily radiographed for flaw detection.
This flange type will be welded to a pipe or fitting with a single full penetration, V weld (Buttweld).Slip on Flange
The calculated strength from a Slip On flange under internal pressure is of the order of two-thirds that of Welding Neck flanges, and their life under fatigue is about one-third that of the latter.
The connection with the pipe is done with 2 fillet welds, as well at the outside as also at the inside of the flange.
The X measure on the image, are approximately:
Wall thickness of pipe + 3 mm.
This space is necessary, to do not damage the flange face, during the welding process.
A disadvantage of the flange is, that principle always firstly a pipe must be welded and then just a fitting. A combination of flange and elbow or flange and tee is not possible, because named fittings have not a straight end, that complete slid in the Slip On flange.Socket Welding Flange
Socket Weld flanges were initially developed for use on small-size high pressure piping. Their static strength is equal to Slip On flanges, but their fatigue strength 50% greater than double-welded Slip On flanges.
The connection with the pipe is done with 1 fillet weld, at the outside of the flange. But before welding, a space must be created between flange or fitting and pipe.
ASME B31.1 1998 127.3 Preparation for Welding (E) Socket Weld Assembly says:
In assembly of the joint before welding, the pipe or tube shall be inserted into the socket to the maximum depth and then withdrawn approximately 1/16" (1.6 mm) away from contact between the end of the pipe and the shoulder of the socket.
The purpose for the bottoming clearance in a Socket Weld is usually to reduce the residual stress at the root of the weld that could occur during solidification of the weld metal. The image shows you the X measure for the expansion gap.
The disadvantage of this flange is right the gap, that must be made. By corrosive products, and mainly in stainless steel pipe systems, the crack between pipe and flange can give corrosion problems. In some processes this flange is also not allowed. I am not an expert in this matter, but on the internet, you will find a lot of information about forms of corrosion.
Also for this flange counts, that principle always firstly a pipe must be welded and then just a fitting.
STEEL FITTINGS FOR PIPE CONNECTION
- Become A JS FITTINGS Customer
- Please send your message to us
The professional manufacturing capacity of JS FITTINGS strongly guarantee the high-quality products, competitive price and short delivery time.
- Free samples can be supplied. Customers need to pay for the courier cost, which will be returned in the following orders.
- All your inquiries will be replied in 2 hours and quotations will be supplied within 24 hours.
- Once the deposit is received during the contract valid time , JS FITTINGS will take full responsibility and obligation for accomplishment of the Contract.
- The urgent order with 100% prepayment has the priority of delivery.
- JS FITTINGS WECHATPlease scan the QR code and add JS FITTINGS in your contact list.Thank you!